This is a topic that I’ve seen a lot around YouTube. I think it’s really fun, and since I’m at home sick with a cold today, I thought why not do my own to pass some time?
I think that some people who know me only see the goth aspects of my personality. In fact, while the subculture is a big part of my life and is something that I love, my personality is a lot quirkier and more complex.
1. I don’t like coffee or dark red wines. Both of these are seen as “gothy,” but I hate bitter flavors and would much rather drink hot chocolate or the ultimate of basic white girl wines, white zinfandel. As much as I wish otherwise, I also dislike the taste of absinthe, although I liked how silly and giddy I felt when I drank it.
2. I love Christmas. While Halloween is my favorite holiday and I have had my share of sad Christmases, I do love the holiday. Gift-giving, decorations, carols, riding around looking at lights, the food, just everything.
3. I’ve never been through a haunted house attraction. I went to a really pitiful one when I was a kid and it scared me so much I had to leave early. I’ve never worked up the courage to try a real one as an adult.
4. I’m a romance junkie. I read plenty of horror, mysteries, and thrillers, but one section I always visit when I go to a bookstore is romance. I love getting swept up in a dramatic love story, and I don’t only read the dark ones, either. Oh no, my favorites are funny romances by Sarah MacLean, Kylie Scott, and Jennifer Crusie.
5. I really want to be a mom. Some people associate being goth with not wanting to have children, but I like kids and look forward to having my own in the next few years.
6. I love to laugh. There’s this idea that goths are really dour and sad, but it’s not true at all. I like to crack jokes and make terrible puns to make my friends laugh (and groan), and I spend far too much time giggling at funny animal memes on Pinterest.
7. I’m more of a dog person than a cat person. Yes, I adore my two kitties, but I had my dogs first and cannot resist a cute canine of any kind. In my mind they are all cute, but I have to say that my special favoites are chihuahuas. They’re so tiny and goofy, and I don’t understand how anyone can dislike them.
8. I love pink, purple, flowers, glitter, Hello Kitty, and other girly things. Just get me in a craft store if you don’t believe me.
9. I listen to some very un-goth music. I adore darkwave, ’80s goth, post-punk, and other spooky staples, and you best believe that when “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” came on at the club last Saturday I was on the floor before you could say, “Oh shit, that’s my jam.” But my jam is also stuff like Taylor Swift, the Hamilton soundtrack and other Broadway showtunes, and Ryan Adams.
10. I don’t really have goth friends. I have a few mutual follows on Instagram, but I don’t really know any goths in real life. I love my friends, but I am hoping to get out more and make some friends who share my interests so I don’t always feel like the “token goth.”